Sunday 2 May 2010

Bean Counter

While I've committed to making this a short update, its one on a recurring theme that I'm going to return to, and one I hope you recognise.

I'm not normally a fan of Peruvian coffee, and in fact have rarely been satisfied with that continent at all I'd like to make an honourable mention of the Peruvian Amazonas Altura. Its quite dark and the strength comes from its broad flavour that doesn't overpower the senses.

I've been making the Altura in an Aeropress, and tried single-shot Americano, double ristretto and double and triple espresso preparations. Out of this, I'd say the flavour doesn't come across well at either ends of the spectrum and a strong Americano really compliments its slightly earthy tones. As an espresso its quite drinkable but lingers on the palette just a little too long and I found the ristretto lost the character of the drink.

Both the espresso and ristretto work well accompanied with chocolate, but nothing above around 70% cocoa as a dark or bitter chocolate pulls Altura outside of its comfort zone. In contrast orange and almond or orange and spice chocolates compliment it well and the extra sweetness makes it a more exciting drink.

The Altura grinds a little coarsly so it took a few attempts to get the grind right, and I'd recommend starting a little finer than you might expect. Because of this, I wouldn't recommend the Altura for a Cafetiere and although I can't imagine a moka pot doing it a huge amount of justice. Filter or drip coffee at a medium strength will best bring out the flavours of this little Peruvian.


No comments:

Post a Comment